February 25, 2008

Through the Woods

"If I wander through the woods,
I wonder what rivers I would find
Winding their way further up and further in
To where I want to be.

"If I wander through the woods,
The sensuous curtain of bark and branch,
Would I find the curtain false?
Fleeting fantasies for weary eyes?

"Beyond the wonder of the woods,
Those mythic pillars of elvish tales,
Is there but the concrete chaos?
Monuments to monotony, altars to apathy?

"Is every wood a deception only,
Covering colossal coves of earthen Hell?
Where is the wood, gates of splendor,
That hides the home all hearts howl to have?"

-Jon Vowell (c) 2008

3 comments:

firebirdsinger said...

Beautiful as always, while containing an undercurrent of suspicion. Woods can be mysterious places, filled with dangers that the mind can't always perceive. However, I think that they are not coverings of an earthen hell, but rather an example of truth. Men walk about the earth and hide the hell inside them, while the forest never pretends to be anything other than what it is-a place of peace, and a place of danger.

Jessica Laura Washington said...

Interestingly enough I agree with Katie, while disagreeing with her. As I was reading this I thought of Ireland (surprise, surprise). And then I remembered the verse Isaiah 40:17
"All the nations are as nothing before him, they are accounted by him as less than nothing and emptiness."
This verse always brings me back to the reality of although these places remind us of heaven, they are not.
Good job Jon.

Halcyon said...

Interesting thoughts, ladies; and thank you for your kind words and inquiries.
However, if I my comment: this poem was inspired by the fact that everytime I see the setting sun through a tree line, I always find myself wondering that if I wandered through those woods, would I arrive at "faeire," or would I (as was typically the case) run into another modern, urban city. Are the woods a gateway to heaven or to hell? For now, they are to hell (i.e., the city), though poems and stories can change that a bit.
For me, 'forest' and 'city' are two motifs I use to contrast heaven and hell, life and death (which is why I call the forest "woods of wonder" and "mythic pillars of elvish tales," while I call the city "the concrete chaos," with its buildings being "monuments to monotony, altars to apathy").
Just FYI.