August 10, 2008

Frick-a-Frack Goes the Fire

"Frick-a-frack," goes the fire,
Brick-a-brack on the mantle.
All the room's all a glow
With fiery embers from below.
Golden sparks and jeweled flames
Shimmering burning of all the names that
Cause my heart to ache and head to swim.

"Purging fire! Beautiful flame!
A washing no ocean can supply!
Free me from all the names that bite me;
Like nails, they pierce my hands and feet.
I am crucified with my past, nevertheless, I live;
Yet not I, but my past that lives within me.
There is no resurrection from this death.

"Free me, fire! Free me, flames!
Free me, sparks! Burn up the names!
Sing ever louder, "Frick-a-frack!"
Burn up the mantle and brick-a-brack!
Scorch through the walls and eat up the floor.
Burn up the windows and out all the doors.
Burn up the roof; raise smoke to heaven.
Eat up my deadness; beat out the leaven.
I am crucified with fire, nevertheless, I live;
Yet not I, but the fire now lives in me.
It ate up the names, and set me free."

-Jon Vowell (c) 2008

No comments: