August 18, 2009

Penu-el

"Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!" -Heathcliff, from Wuthering Heights

"I hear the angels are here to kill us.
Oh happy day!
God still hates us! He has not
forgotten us.
We are the mote of His eye!
He will pluck us out.
We are the desiccant ditch water!
He will spew us out of His mouth.
Oh happy day!

"Clouds and fire, you have been
(or once were)
Obscurity in our daylight, and
Clarity in the night season
You were there; now we come to the garden
alone.
We walk about with stiff-necks and
straight strides;
We miss our broken hips, your
hand against
The hollow of our thighs.

"Once you wrestled against the
sons of man,
Against flesh and blood; fleshy
Hearts were the reward for
broken legs, and ribs, and skulls,
and stone,
Shattered against your hate,
grounded into powder.
'The son of man,' they said,
'You wrestle against him,
you visitest him.'
You, the highwayman, you
the bone-breaker, you
the heart-stealer:
How we miss you.

"Once again, put the stone
at our head, and the ladder
at our feet.
May we feel dreadful in the dark,
sleep soundly in your horror
and great darkness,
once again.
Once more (as it once were)
let your cords flail our shops,
Your hammer hit stone
and bone
with the cold and deep thud.
Let your hand touch the hollow places
that we may go halting and whole,
Worshipping and leaning
on the top of our staff."

-Jon Vowell (c) 2009

No comments: